понедельник, 23 июля 2012 г.

Ещё один "китаец" из ...Франции. Перепост.

My Shabby Picnic Basket Planter!

shabby  basket planter
I am excited about my latest project…a planter made from an old picnic basket that has been “antiqued.” It was fun and so easy! I think this may just be my favorite project ever! But if you know me, you know I’m a copy cat…and this time is no exception.


basket planterAnd here is my inspiration! It is a ceramic planter from FCLstyle…a sister company to Pierre Deux.  If you haven’t been to their site, it’s well worth a visit. It is French Country Living with a modern twist. And this basket caught my attention right away! But…being the thrifting addict that I am, I immediately began trying to figure out how to make an inexpensive version. So here it is…


IMG_1935 First…of course…start with a wicker picnic basket! My Goodwill hunting buddy, Linda at Nina’s Nest, knew I was on the lookout and found this one for me…for only $3.93! Isn’t she a good friend?  Hmmm…I need to do some tweaking. (Notice those three brads holding the strap on the lid. I’ll mention them in a moment.)


IMG_1938 Sooo… I removed the top and got to work. I cut the straps that were inside (for holding plates, etc.), drilled little holes and folded them over the edge, attaching them through all thicknesses with those brads. Once I was satisfied that this would work, I removed the straps for easier painting.


IMG_1940I spray painted with a coat of white primer, a coat of white paint and  then reattached the straps.  Next, I  “antiqued” it by brushing on medium gray craft paint diluted one part paint to two parts water. I wanted it to look old, but not as dark as theirs. A final coat of clear indoor/outdoor sealer will help protect it from the weather. The inside was already lined with plastic…all ready for planting! I simply cut a few little holes for drainage.


shabby  basket planter Finally, I added potting soil and begonias! I used moisture control soil because I am hoping that I will need to water less often and extend the life of my planter. And here is the result! What do you think?


page I love the contrast of the textures and the shades of pink and gray!  And my version only cost about $10 including flowers since I already had most of the things that I needed on hand!


IMG_1964 Now I am going to have a cup of coffee and biscotti on the patio and admire my work! lol I need a little quiet time. I just finished dog-sitting for a week for my daughter’s six (yes…six) dogs! It will be nice not to have twelve eyes watching every bite I take!


IMG_7324 And the staff is too busy chasing bugs and lizards to notice.


IMG_1963 Ahhhh! This is the life! I think that breakfast on the patio is my favorite thing about summer! Won’t you join me?

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Please visit these wonderful ladies and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Today’s Thrifty Treasures
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Laurie at Bargain Hunting and Chatting with Laurie for A Few of My Favorite Things Saturday
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special...Fav Projects
See you next time! A la prochaine!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий